Skip to main content

U-TURNING

I Believe in Personality Tests

Not too long ago, I remarked to my supportive spouse that if I were to take another personality test now, the result would be quite different. Little did I realize how different....

The opportunity popped out quite unexpectedly when A's school called for interested parent-child pairs to do a Myers-Briggs Test http://www.personalitypathways.com to understand parenting style and child personality fit.  I took the test for fun and it was rather revealing.

In the final analysis, my profile was ESTP. Something has shifted from the person I was at ESTJ when I was younger.

The Younger Me

I wouldn't have liked me very much if I were to meet her now. This was a person who had to get her own way, have the last word and did not take to advice well. She was not too sensitive or aware of feelings of other people and did not care if they were offended. She needed to get somewhere, do something, be somebody...

I've had misgivings and some regrets about the paths I've chosen, but it seemed that no matter how far I'd wandered off course, I held on to that mustard-seed faith and someone beside me ( for the past 25 years ) who was a beacon of reason and sanity.

Making a U-Turn

The "P" has been substituted for the " J ". It stands for "ESTPs don't like to be pinned down by excessive planning. Instead, they like to improvise and keep their options open."

  I like that. Freedom to be is part of my DNA.  I am growing into going with the flow, living in the moment. I do not need to be right or have the last word at the expense of hurting someone else. I do not like confrontations. I choose to hang out with people whose company I enjoy (and those who enjoy being with me )More and more, I am basking in my own glorious company and liking it so. I am reconnecting with my old love - books. They are nicer than people. 

I am wondering if this should have been my true self and whether I should have held on to my true self in the past, instead of trying to be what I am not...

But the good news is - It's not too late to make a U-turn!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Perspectives

  So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...

Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 17 Oct 2016 )

  Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of  Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining?   Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...

Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 18 Oct 2016 )

  Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced  rots wahv )   is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the  legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or  krasnale  , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...