Skip to main content

REFLECTIONS ON DAD FOR FATHER"S DAY - JUNE 2011

Reflections on Dad For Father's Day - June 2011



Dad left us suddenly without saying goodbye.

It was a silent heart attack.
In life, he was a man of few words.
We seldom saw eye to eye.
It was a difference in perspective,
But so fundamentally different.
I was simply voicing my views,
Which did not correspond to his.

Why did I choose to focus on the negative,
and failed to see the obvious?
Dad has never complimented me

But there would be a hint of a smile,
a light in the eyes,
when he attended my graduation,
and later gave me away at my wedding.
 I hungered for words of affirmation,
and when they did not appear,
I blamed Dad for falling short.

Who is a perfect Dad anyway?
He is the one whom you call your father.
Dad may not be able to love me the way I'd expected,
but he did what he could and in the best way he knew how.

Now that he is gone, I missed his silence; his not being around.
I wrote the eulogy for his funeral and was grateful for the opportunity
to say the things I did not say earlier.
Perhaps Dad was also like me, waiting and longing to hear those words
-which were not spoken when they ought to be.

Someday I will see Dad again, and have a second chance
to tell him how sorry I am for the insensitive things I've said and done,
and that I love him for loving me in his own way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Perspectives

  So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...

Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 18 Oct 2016 )

  Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced  rots wahv )   is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the  legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or  krasnale  , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...

Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 17 Oct 2016 )

  Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of  Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining?   Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...