Skip to main content

Putting Things Together ( Le Cadeau Chapter 11 ) ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 3 Oct 2016 )

 

Putting Things Together ( Le Cadeau Chapter 11 )

I am quite the shameless, consummate serial shopper.

Until quite recently, I was mostly preoccupied with my wardrobe and how to get the best deal out of Ebay, Amazon and Vpost with online purchases. Now, I am solely preoccupied with kitchen and pantry; and still looking for deals. Before this house grew up, I was shopping for a virtual dream house and picking up stuff along the way, either at home or abroad, with the intent of fitting them somewhere in a corner where they belong.

Mr Y felt this weighing heavily upon his shoulders as he put the finishing touches to the house. I wanted Al Fresco dining,an outdoor kitchen and a coffee bar amongst other things and along with it trudged years of stray, accumulated odds and ends which I considered cute but Mr Y sadly did not.

Despite his protests ( which I did not take seriously ) the man rose to the occasion and managed to place several of the strays into their rightful places. When I responded with exaggerated oohs and aahs ( for dramatic effect ), he merely shrugged and I swear I detected a twinkle in those bright eyes!

Airflown Driftwood finds its own niche
Airflown Driftwood finds its own niche
All Adrift above the Coffee Bar
All Adrift above the Coffee Bar
Knick Knacks from Bali
Knick Knacks from Bali
Door Knobs from India
Sea Shells from outer shores
Sea Shells from outer shores
Mr Y  - I don't wanna see any more strays...
Mr Y – I don’t wanna see any more strays…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Perspectives

  So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...

Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 18 Oct 2016 )

  Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced  rots wahv )   is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the  legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or  krasnale  , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...

Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 17 Oct 2016 )

  Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of  Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining?   Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...