Skip to main content

Sorry Seems to be the hardest Word Part 1

Sorry Seems to be the hardest Word , Part 1

 On Monday, A. broke the news in the car that she missed the passing mark for her Math Semester Paper - by a big margin. It did not help that the outcome of her Science paper is also hanging by a thread.

Something snapped inside and I turned into a raving, ranting, screaming lunatic.( no full-moon required! ) I did not pause to reflect on A's comment that more than half her class suffered the same fate. I became  the mother of all broken records. Only when A was sufficiently humiliated, deflated and her spirits reduced to smithereens did I let up. Happy at last to let it out of my system.

I did not stop here - D got it from me as well. I continued the rhetoric with a lecture on what a poor role model he was, and his sister is right behind his tracks. No fury hurled like a mother's unmet expectations!

On Tuesday, I had a brief conversation with K, my sis-in-law, who is a primary school teacher. She mentioned in passing that her whole class failed to pass Math, a subject she teaches. Either she is not delivering the goods, or the goods never reached their destination...or that the specifications were changed without prior notice. Quite a coincidence. Anyone else with children in P5 please leave comments on this state of affairs.

Guilt-striken at last, I felt like saw-dust. I summoned up the courage and swallowed my pride to say SORRY to A for screaming at her. I promised her I would not do this again, and if ever I did, will she please remind me that " I am losing it!

D - please read this posting in FB and consider it my apology to you too. I am SORRY.

A, full of grace, accepted the apology and I am pretty sure she will take me at my word. SORRY - a five-letter word that is so hard to say, especially to the weaker and smaller among us - example our children, domestic help, the elderly, the less fortunate...( ok, I draw the line at the two-legged sort only ). At that moment, we made a connection, a tie that binds, a deposit for future clashes ahead.

Mummy's not perfect but she's  trying  hard to get there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Perspectives

  So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...

Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 18 Oct 2016 )

  Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced  rots wahv )   is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the  legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or  krasnale  , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...

Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 17 Oct 2016 )

  Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of  Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining?   Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...