Skip to main content

In Memoriam - Yee Cheong - the best Uncle I ever had ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org in 2013 )

 In Memoriam – Yee Cheong, the best uncle I ever had. Posted on 10 May 2012

L1020889-63

When the night is at its darkest, and the music fades,

All that remains when you have to say that final goodbye on earth

To someone who is loved, treasured and was a significant adult in your childhood and teenage years…
Thank you for your legacy of wisdom, grace and blessings which you have imparted to me.
As a little girl, growing up in Balam Road, I looked upon you with awe;
But would take little liberties to be cheeky, knowing with full confidence you are firm, but always fair.
After a day’s worth of playing with Mei, I would sneak over next door to linger around some more,
Watching you read the Chinese newspapers, occasionally humming a Chinese melody,
Or breaking out in the loudest yawn I’ve ever heard, which never failed to send me back in stitches.
You were ever the father figure, true to your four children, a vicarious one to me.
Sure, you had your share of quirkiness, finicky about tidiness, and don’t anyone mess about with your car…
Well, I did once, forgetting to close the car door after hopping out, and the door met with a sorry end
I got an earful from you, but it was a lesson I never forgot – and you did forgive me soon enough.
When it came to food, only Yee Ma’s cooking made the grade, and for good reason too.
Thank you for believing in me, for the timely reminders that I can make it, even in Chinese.
You had so much in you to give, and in the end, 
All that remains is a wealth of precious memories, a family held together by the values you had lived by, loved and cherished always.
Your niece,
Yvonne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Perspectives

  So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...

Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 18 Oct 2016 )

  Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced  rots wahv )   is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the  legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or  krasnale  , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...

Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse ( first posted on thebarefootfoodie.org on 17 Oct 2016 )

  Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS ,  EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of  Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining?   Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...