As Imelda herself said ” They have listed my name in the dictionary..” Yes, and it means ostentatiously extravagant, sometimes to the point of vulgarity.
Whilst the Marcos regime is known for its brutality and corruption, Imelda is infamously remembered for her love of all things material, in particular, shoes.
One of the many shelves show-casing the shoesThese boots are made for walkingShoes are her best friends
” I did NOT have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty”
Mules and ClogsOne in every colour, pleaseThe rest of the spectrumNow we knowHob-nobbing with the elite
” Win or lose, we go shopping after the election”
Stepping out in styleThey were in the same circlePIck your size
” I really had no great love for shoes. I was a working First Lady; I was always in canvas shoes. I did nurture the shoes industry of the Philippines, and so every time there was a shoe fair, I would receive a pair of shoes as a token of gratitude.”
The view from the upper floor
” I have never been a material girl. My father always told me never to love anything that cannot love you back.”
Evening shoes to go with this
” I hate ugliness. You know I am allergic to ugliness.”
As Imelda herself said ” They have listed my name in the dictionary..” Yes, and it means ostentatiously extravagant, sometimes to the point of vulgarity.
Whilst the Marcos regime is known for its brutality and corruption, Imelda is infamously remembered for her love of all things material, in particular, shoes.
One of the many shelves show-casing the shoesThese boots are made for walkingShoes are her best friends
” I did NOT have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty”
Mules and ClogsOne in every colour, pleaseThe rest of the spectrumNow we knowHob-nobbing with the elite
” Win or lose, we go shopping after the election”
Stepping out in styleThey were in the same circlePIck your size
” I really had no great love for shoes. I was a working First Lady; I was always in canvas shoes. I did nurture the shoes industry of the Philippines, and so every time there was a shoe fair, I would receive a pair of shoes as a token of gratitude.”
The view from the upper floor
” I have never been a material girl. My father always told me never to love anything that cannot love you back.”
Evening shoes to go with this
” I hate ugliness. You know I am allergic to ugliness.”
So What If The Day Started Badly This morning, as I was reversing my car out of the porch for a dental appointment, I drove right into a van who just happened to park in front of the house across the road, right at the very instant. The knee jerk instinct was to feel sorry and angry with myself at the same time. I said a little prayer for comfort and that the rest of the day would turn out better, with small mercies along the way. I also texted G, telling him what happened and that I was a little shaken by the incident, trivial as it was. The text came back " No worries". It was all the comfort I needed - no judgment, no reproof, just a quiet understanding and acceptance. The Rest Of the Day Got the tooth fixed, had my comfort food for lunch, left car with dented bumper with mechanic, took a bus to Ang Mo Kio library to while away the time. Along the way, discovered my favorite Yong Tau Foo franchise had moved to the food centre here, much nearer home, and also picked up a ...
Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse OCTOBER 17, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS , EUROPE On a mild Autumn day in September 2015, we landed at CDG Airport, Paris in the morning, picked up our rented car and headed for the “Food Mecca” in Lyon. About 4 hours, 30 min later, we arrived at Les Halles De Lyon Paul Bocuse for a well deserved gastronomical indulgence. I am transported to an adult Disney world of Food Fantasia! This is Lyon’s world famous indoor market featuring nearly 60 stalls of gourmet delights to thrill your palettes, assault your senses and gently lighten your pockets. Who’s complaining? Say Cheese! Cold Cuts of all sorts Soup and Slurp Spice Up Your Life! Something’s Fishy! Condiments and Sides, with a dash of Olive Oil House of Bread What a Roll! The Meat Men Feeling Thirsty? Look what they have lined up! This is no ordinary leg of ham! More Chops The best ham in the world! The Iconic Macarons Sable Cookies Irresistible French Pastries More Sugar Mania Wi...
Gnomes, Locks and Other Distractions – Wroclaw Part 1 OCTOBER 18, 2016 BAREFOOT TRAVELS , EUROPE Wroclaw ( pronounced rots wahv ) is a picturesque city in Poland known for its beautiful market square and many delightful pockets of quaint features. It is spanned by more than 100 bridges, and floats ethereally perched as a city on water. That aside, the real draw for us was the legion of little people with larger than life personalities that add to the lure of this magical place – the gnomes ( or krasnale , in local parlance ) It started with a protest against the authoritarian regime by dissidents who cleverly used these whimsical figurines to register their discontent. How could the police make an arrest with something so nonsensical? And so it grew, until it acquired a cult status of its own in 2001 when the country became a democratic state, and an official statue of a gnome was erected on the city’s main street. It did not stop th...
Comments
Post a Comment